In mid-May, the Office of Admission emailed a matriculation packet to you, including instructions for activating your Vassar account. You will need your login credentials to complete many of the tasks listed below.
- Set up your Vassar email. Your Vassar username and activation code, as well as instructions on activating your Vassar account, are available in your status portal. (NOTE: Students who deferred their entry from last year will not have access to the status portal. Your Vassar username, activation code, and instructions for activating your account are being emailed to you.) Your Vassar email account can be accessed at mail.google.com or from any Google login prompt; log in with your full email address and password. Your email address will be your username followed by @vassar.edu (i.e, email@example.com). For more information, please visit the Computing, IDs & Phones FAQ. If you have questions or require assistance, you may contact the CIS Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (845) 437-7224 during normal business hours.
- If you are requesting disability accommodations, you must return the Student Accessibility Form to the Office for Accessibility and Educational Opportunity. This self-disclosure form officially registers you with the Office for Accessibility and Educational Opportunity. More information on how to register.
Deadline: June 15.
- Complete the New Student Biography Form as soon as possible. This form will require information from your parents/guardians.
Deadline: July 1.
- Schedule an appointment with your physician and complete and return the Medical Form to the Office of Health Services as soon as possible. Be sure to include all required signatures (student, parent/guardian, and physician).
Deadline: July 1.
The Office of the Dean of First-Year Students will provide information about the pre-registration process, pre-major advisors, etc. Information about tuition payments and student finances will also be communicated in June. Check the June mailings for more information.
- Submit a photo for your Vassar ID Card. The photo must be an accurate representation of what you currently look like. A full-color, shoulders-and-above photo is required, and hats, sunglasses, or anything obscuring your face is prohibited.
Deadline: June 30.
- Fill out your Housing Application. Complete the housing form thoughtfully and honestly so that the staff in the Residential Life Office can select the most appropriate housing arrangement and roommate for you.
Deadline: June 30.
- Complete the Statement of Academic Interests worksheet. Your thoughtful answers to these questions will help the dean place you with a pre-major academic advisor with expertise in your areas of interest.
Deadline: July 1.
- Final High School Transcripts should be sent to the Office of Admission. Transcripts can be submitted via the Common App website, email (email@example.com), or by mailing in the Final Academic Transcript form. You must confirm with your high school that the guidance office has forwarded your final transcript to us. You will need it on file at Vassar to finalize registration for first-semester courses.
Deadline: July 15.
- Pre-register for classes (available in early July). You will receive more information soon regarding this process.
- Complete the Sexual Assault Prevention for Undergraduates and AlcoholEdu for College online courses that you will receive in your email. These courses will provide critical information and resources about alcohol/substance use or misuse and sexual assault/interpersonal violence. Deadline: July 31.
- Fill out the Religious Interest Form (View Letter). Whether or not you consider yourself to be religious, please fill out the form as it helps the college better serve the needs of our students.
Available in June. Deadline: July 31.
- Deposit funds to your VCash Account.
- Post your response, along with comments on two other student responses on the First-Year Common Reading Assignment (details provided in June).
- Begin New Student Orientation on August 24, 2020.
Vassar may award a maximum of 6 units of pre-matriculation credit of any type.
Students may not apply for these credits until after they matriculate and are active students at Vassar.
Credit for Pre-Vassar College Work
To apply for credit for a course or courses you completed at another institution, you must present an official transcript sent from the registrar of the institution to the Dean of Studies, Vassar College.
Not all courses are eligible for transfer credit. See the First-Year Handbook section on Pre-Matriculation Credit for eligibility requirements.
AP and IB Credit
You may not apply for AP or IB credit until after you matriculate and are an active student at Vassar. AP and IB credit will be issued only upon receipt of the original testing service transcript. Scores of 4 or 5 on AP exams are eligible for 1 unit of credit, and scores of 5, 6, or 7 on higher-level International Baccalaureate exams are awarded 1 unit of credit, subject to the maximum of 2.0 units of exam-based, pre-matriculation credit.
If you wish to request a transcript, please write to:
CEEB code: 2956
For more information on pre-matriculation credits, see the First-Year Handbook section on Pre-Matriculation Credit.
Registration and Advising
Before arriving at Vassar, you will begin to plan your course of study by exploring the Vassar College Catalogue, reading the Academic Information section of the First-Year Handbook, pre-registering for the fall semester, and filling out and returning your Statement of Academic Interests (due July 1.)
Statement of Academic Interests
Once you declare your major (usually at the end of sophomore year), you will choose an advisor from the program or department in which you are majoring. Until that time, you will be assigned a pre-major advisor by the dean of first-year students. The only tool the dean has to match you with an appropriate advisor is your Statement of Academic Interests (due July 1.) During New Student Orientation, you will meet with your pre-major advisor to finalize your fall schedule.
Pre-registration will begin on August 3rd and end on August 16th. You will be able to access the registration program at https://aisapps.vassar.edu/fpr beginning August 3rd using your Vassar One account login.