Transfer / Exchange / Visiting Students
As soon as possible
In June, the Office of Admission emailed a matriculation packet to you, including instructions for activating your Vassar account. You will need your login credentials to complete many of the tasks listed below.
- Set up your Vassar email. Your Vassar username and activation code, as well as instructions on activating your Vassar Account, are available in your status portal. Your Vassar email account can be accessed at mail.google.com or from any Google login prompt; log in with your full email address and password. Your email address will be your username followed by @vassar.edu (i.e, firstname.lastname@example.org). For more information, please visit the Computing, IDs & Phones FAQ. If you have questions or require assistance, you may contact the CIS Service Desk at email@example.com or call (845) 437-7224 during normal business hours.
- Request a copy of your most-recent transcripts to be sent to the Vassar College Office of Admission (firstname.lastname@example.org) We need an official copy of your transcript, including the most recent semester’s grades, on file at Vassar to finalize registration for first-semester courses and to receive transfer credits. All final transcripts should be sent to Office of Admission.
- If you have AP and/or IB credit, request that a copy of the transcript from the original testing service be sent to Vassar College, Office of the Dean of Studies, as soon as possible. See the section on “Pre-Matriculation Credits” for the addresses of the testing services and more information.
- Schedule an appointment with your physician for a physical examination.
In this form you will be able to:
- Provide information that will help us to make a housing assignment
- Request disability accommodations
- Submit the photo for your Vassar ID Card
- Share information about other special interests such as Religious and Spiritual Life, Technology, Campus Life and Diversity and more
Deadline: June 30
The Office of the Dean of First-Year Students will provide information about the pre-registration process, pre-major advisors, etc. Information about tuition payments and student finances will also be communicated in June.
- Complete your entry medical requirements as soon as possible by registering and logging into the Vassar College Health Service Patient Portal (available early June.) If you are unable to access the portal, please contact Health Services at email@example.com.
Deadline: July 1.
- Pre-register for classes (available in early July). You will receive more information soon regarding this process.
- Complete the Sexual Assault Prevention for Undergraduates and AlcoholEdu for College online courses that you will receive in your email. These courses will provide critical information and resources about alcohol/substance use or misuse and sexual assault/interpersonal violence.
Available in July. Deadline: Friday August 13 at 5:00 p.m.
- Deposit funds to your VCash Account.
- Arrive on campus August 22, 2021. Begin New Student Orientation on August 23, 2021.
The Office of the Dean of Studies oversees all aspects of the student academic experience and accordingly is responsible for evaluating students’ previous course work for transfer credit. To evaluate a transcript for transfer credit, the dean’s office must have an official transcript from all of the previous institutions the student has attended, including an official transcript of the most recent semester’s grades.
The maximum number of transfer units allowed is 16. Non-liberal arts, pre-professional, physical education, independent courses, field work courses, online courses, and courses done at unaccredited institutions do not transfer. Also, courses not of a sufficiently high level (e.g., math courses below calculus) will not transfer, nor will courses graded lower than a “C.”
AP and IB Credit
AP and IB credit will be issued only upon receipt of the original testing service transcript. Scores of 4 or 5 on AP exams are eligible for 1 unit of credit. Scores of 5, 6, or 7 on Higher-Level International Baccalaureate exams are awarded 1 unit of credit. A maximum of 2 units of credit may be awarded for AP or IB credit.
Registration and Advising
We strongly recommend that you pre-register for courses before arriving at Vassar. Courses sometimes fill up quickly, so please make your selections as soon as possible. Your selections can be revised after you arrive at Vassar during the add/drop period starting on the first day of classes.
Once the assistant dean has received your official transcript, including spring grades, she will send you an assessment of your transfer credits/units. Please note that this may change if and when she receives official AP, IB, and/or A-Level transcripts. You do not need to know the total number of transfer units you will receive in order to pre-register.
During Orientation, you will meet with a pre-major advisor in the Dean of Studies Office who will help you finalize your registration.