Plans for Spring 2022
December 17, 2021
I am writing to provide current plans for the spring semester.
We plan on returning to an in-person, on-campus learning experience. The health and safety of everyone on campus is paramount, and we understand health to include not only the physical health, but also mental health and social well-being. Additionally, we will apply all the learning we have had through the last four semesters of the pandemic to provide the best and safest on-campus experience possible. Here are the plans:
- Boosters: We are requiring all students and employees, including faculty, to receive a COVID‑19 booster by January 17 or within thirty days of becoming eligible in accordance with CDC guidelines, whichever is later. (Anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 is required to have a booster within 90 days of diagnosis.
- Testing: Additionally, all students will need a negative pre-arrival test (antigen or PCR), to be taken within three days of coming to campus. All students will then be tested three to five days later. The testing regimen for asymptomatic, vaccinated students after that on-campus test will be determined based on epidemiologic evidence and recommendations from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state and local public health officials. Students with vaccination exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be tested weekly, and symptomatic students will be tested immediately.
- Dining: Gordon Commons will be open for in-person dining, with density more limited as was done and supported by the Vassar app effectively in earlier semesters. The Express and Food Trucks will be available for grab-n-go meals.
- Masking: In the first weeks, we will have full masking indoors for students and employees, which we hope to loosen over time if cases on campus and in Dutchess County are limited and contained.
- Events: We are hoping to have Spring calendar events as planned, and students will continue to register events as they did in the Fall semester.
- Buildings: We expect that buildings including the gyms will be open on regular hours and accessible via card swipe.
I wish everyone a safe, happy, and rejuvenating winter break, and I look forward to welcoming you all back to campus this spring. See you in 2022!
Elizabeth H. Bradley, President
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604