Mr. Su received his PhD in political science from the University of Chicago. Before joining Vassar College, he taught at Brown University for two years. He is also a member of the Asian Studies program.
Mr. Su’s teaching interests include comparative politics, political economy, East Asian security, and Chinese politics. His research concerns contemporary Chinese political and economic developments, including electoral politics, village governance, local public finance, urbanization, land management, transition, and China’s growth model.
ASIA 254 Chinese Politics and Economy
POLI 250 Politics as Games
POLI 254 Chinese Politics and Economy
- “Rural Housing Consumption and Social Stratification in Transitional China: Evidence from a National Survey.” Housing Studies (forthcoming). (with Wang Hui, Lanlan Wang and Ran Tao)
- “Rural Residential Land Use in China: Patterns, Efficiency and Prospects for Reform.” Habitat International (forthcoming) (with Wang Hui, Ran Tao)
- “To Reallocate or Not? Reconsidering the Dilemma in China’s Agricultural Land Tenure.” Land Use Policy 28 (4) (October 2011): 805-814 (with Wang Hui, Juer Tong, Guoxue Wei, Ran Tao).
- “Grain Procurement, Tax Instrument, and Peasant Burdens during China’s Rural Transition.” Journal of Contemporary China 20 (71) (2011). (with Ran Tao, Mingxing Liu and Xi Lu)
- “Clans, Electoral Procedures, and Voter Turnout: Evidence from Villagers’ Committee Elections in Transitional China.” Political Studies 59 (2) (June 2011): 432-457. (with Ran Tao, Xin Sun and Mingxing Liu)
- “Political Trust as Rational Belief: Evidence from Chinese Village Elections.” Journal of Comparative Economics 39 (1) (March 2011): 108-121. (with Ran Tao, Xin Sun and Xi Lu)
- “Can Economic Growth Lead to Promotion? A Logical Challenge to the Tournament Thesis and a Re-evaluation of Provincial Level Evidence.” 管理世界 (Management World) No. 12 (2010). (With Ran Tao and Xi Lu)
- “Land Leasing and Local Public Finance in China’s Regional Development: Evidence from Prefecture-Level Cities.” Urban Studies 47(10) (2010): 2217–2236. (with Ran Tao, Mingxing Liu and Guangzhong Cao)
- “Farmland Preservation and Land Development Rights Trading in Zhejiang, China.” Habitat International 34 (4) (2010): 454-463. (with Wang Hui, Ran Tao and Lanlan Wang)
Download images for non-commercial use, photo credit required.