Democratic Republic of Vietnam Peace Proposal, June 26, 1971
1. The withdrawal of all the forces of the United States and those of the other foreign countries in the U.S. camp for South Vietnam and the other Indochinese countries must be achieved in 1971.
2. The release of all the military men and civilians captured in the war will be carried out at the same time and will be completed at the same moment as the withdrawal of troops mentioned in Point 1.
3. In South Vietnam, the United States ceases supporting Thieu.Ky.Khiem to allow the formation in Saigon of a new administration standing for peace, independence, neutrality, and democracy. The PRGRSV will engage in talks with the said administration with a view to settling the internal affairs of South Vietnam and achieving national concord.
4. The U.S. Government must assume the entire responsibility for the damage caused by the United States to the entire Vietnamese people. The DRV Government and the PRGRSV request from the U.S. Government reparations for damage caused by the United States in the two zones of Vietnam.
5. The United States must respect the 1954 Geneva Agreements in Vietnam and Indochina and those of 1962 on Laos. It must cease its aggression against and intervention in the Indochinese countries to let the Indochinese people settle their own affairs.
6. The problems existing between the Indochinese countries will be settled by the Indochinese parties on the basis of mutual respect for independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity, and for noninterference on internal affairs. For its part, the DRV is prepared to participate in the settlement of these problems.
7. All the parties will observe a cease.fire after the conclusion of agreements of the aforementioned problems.
8. An international supervision will be set.up.
9. An international guarantee will be indispensable for the realization of the basic national rights of the Indochinese people, for the neutrality of South Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia and for the establishment of a lasting peace in this region.
These nine points make up a whole.
Source: Paris Vietnam News Agency [VNA] in French to VNA Hanoi, January 31, 1972.
Translation by Robert K. Brigham and Le Phuong Anh.
See also: Peace Proposal of the Provisional Revolutionary Government of the Republic of South Viet Nam, July 1, 1971