Skip to main content
A horse-drawn trolley, seen here in front of the original main gate c.1860s, was the first form of public transportation between Poughkeepsie and Vassar. Now, we have a Poughkeepsie bus route that stops right on campus, and another across the street. Learn more…
Matthew Vassar’s personal desk is on display in the Art Center. Before visiting to see it yourself, read a little about it on the “Off The Wall” blog.
A portrait of the class of 1873 at Mill Cove Lake, now called Vassar Lake. The lake is part of the Casperkill Watershed, which includes the college campus. See vintage videos of 20th century students enjoying our lakes.
Students relax with a newspaper and a portable record player, c.1950s. The album title is “Swan Lake,” and the glass object on the player is called an ashtray. Learn more about Vassar’s residential halls.
Fall Convocation in 1914. Today’s Convocation is at 3:30pm, and the faculty speaker is Professor Rebecca Edwards, on “The Character of American Sunlight.”
The Villard Room, currently an important events venue, was once the campus dining hall. Here, a view of how it looked in the 1940s. We have a few more options today; take a look at the Dining site for menus and locations.
Flowers at the foot of the plane tree on the Library lawn following September 11, 2001. See listing for campus commemorations ten years after.
A quiet moment in the College Center in 1983, when the building was only 8 years old. See more about the College Center....
Leila Cook Barber, distinguished member of the Art faculty, at work in the slide library, c. 1950s. Read more about the inimitable Ms. Barber…
At the Alumnae House Pub in the 1940s. They were called bobby-soxers and would be ordering hamburgers and discussing either Greek tragedy or Frank Sinatra. Learn more about the history of Alumnae House. Photo: Frank Bauman
Canoeing in the Kenyon pool, c.1930s. Maybe the pool was bigger than it looks? Learn more about sports and athletics at Vassar in the 20th Century.
The Martel Theater stage being prepared for a production in 2009. See what the Drama Department has on their schedule this season. Photo: Lauri Robertson '75
Chris Smart ‘83 adjusting an atomic absorption spectrophotometer in 1983. Today, Chris is a Vassar chemistry professor, and will be one of the faculty lecturers during “A Day At Vassar,” on Oct. 15. See more…
Strong House at night, c.1992. Watch “One Night At Vassar,” an Admissions video from 1990.
Visitors arriving for an art opening at the Lehman Loeb Art Center. Check out Vassar’s “Art Talk” videos by professors, students, and curators offering their own interpretations of works at the Art Center. Photo: John Abbott
Elizabeth Bishop ’34, with Tobias in 1954. An exhibit and a symposium mark her centenary, and Vassar’s premier collection of her papers. Robert Pinsky gives the symposium keynote, Sep. 24, 2011. Photo: J.L. Castel
The first building completed on campus, affectionately known as the “old observatory,” the Judith Loeb Chiara ‘49 Center at the Maria Mitchell Observatory is now the home of the Education Dept. Read the history of this Historic Landmark. Photo: Lauri Robertson ’75
Helen Drusilla Lockwood’s American Culture seminar in 1953. Lockwood is at end of table on the left. Read more about this influential English professor…
Men’s Rugby in 1981, Mitch Moskowitz ’83 with the ball. Vassar is in white shirts with single stripe, playing a team with non-matching jerseys. Find out more about today’s rugby team.
Vassar campus seen from Sunset Hill, c. 1870. The near building was the Calisthenium and Riding Academy, now the Vogelstein Drama and Film Center. Read more about the building’s early history….
The Undergraduate Research Summer Institute is celebrating its 25th anniversary. This year’s symposium includes an address by Nobel Prize winner Eric Kandel. Above, Maria Kern ’11, working on a project in 2009. See a video about this URSI project and others.
Dodo Birds, a drawing by Savery Roelandt, 1576-1639. At the Art Center through Dec 11, 2011, A Pioneering Collection: Master Drawings from the Crocker Art Museum. Learn more about the exhibition.
Vassar College Office of Communications
124 Raymond Ave
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604
Late 1800s - 2013
Browse and enjoy.
Starting in 2011, Vassar’s 150th anniversary, the college’s homepages have been available for browsing in this archive. Each image is captioned, and the caption links to related information. Enjoy!