Skip to main content
An Astronomy class in 2009; the looping track and rotary motion discs in the foreground are both used in class demonstrations. Learn more about Physics and Astronomy at Vassar. Photo: John Abbott
A community garden with critter-chasers on the fence, Vassar Farm. Each summer 120 plots are available to community members. Learn more about the wide range of programs at the Vassar Farm & Ecological Preserve. Photo: Lauri Robertson '75
Inez Milholland, class of 1909, was a famous champion of the disenfranchised. Here she's seen in 1913 when she led a suffrage parade in Washington, D.C. Read more.
A chemistry student in the Sanders Lab, c. 1940s. Today's labs in Mudd Building remain busy even in the summer with the Undergraduate Research Summer Institute. See this year's projects.
Detail of Hudson River Scene, 1893, by Henry Van Ingen, Vassar's first professor of art. The painting appears to be a view of Storm King Mountain as seen from the town of Cold Spring, NY. Read more about Van Ingen and his time at Vassar.
Blue paint always makes the best art. Learn more about programs at the Wimpfheimer Nursery School and the Infant Toddler Center. Photo: Debbie Falasco.
A view of the Guastavino tiles in the vaults under Taylor Hall. Designed by Allen and Collens in 1915, Taylor Hall has been the home of the Art Department since it was built. Photo: Tamar Thibodeau
Vassar’s Shakespeare Garden in the 1940s. The garden was originally built by students and faculty in 1916. Read more about its history.
The Art Center’s Coordinator of Public Education, Nicole Roylance, left, talks with a group of visiting art teachers, 2009. See more about the Art Center’s Education programs. Photo: Nancy Crampton ’56
An etching of Main Drive in the 1860s. Today, a single photograph of the entire front of Main Building isn’t possible because of trees on the lawns. At the time it was built, it enclosed more interior space than any building in the U.S. Read more about Main Building.
An ultrafast laser producing pulses of less than a picosecond. URSI students use this laser when working with Professor Brian Daly to study solid-state nanostructures. Learn more about this year’s physics projects in the Undergraduate Research Summer Institute.
Matthew in front of Main Building as usual, maybe watching for students to arrive next week. New student orientation starts August 25. See the schedule. Photo: Tamar Thibodeau
The old barn on Vassar Farm & Ecological Preserve can have its charms. Learn more about activities on the farm, a very busy place at all times of the year. Photo: Lauri Robertson ’75
Water is drying up in many places in the world. Read about Evan Abramson ’00 and his documentary When the Water Ends in the current issue of the Vassar Quarterly.
Child with Lamp, ca. 1897, a lithograph by Pierre Bonnard, part of the Art Center exhibition, A Taste for the Modern , which celebrates the important gift-giving of three Vassar alumnae, all collectors of modern art.
Embolden Wishes for Positive Change, a photo-collage by Mary Daniel Hobson '91. See a recent Vassar Quarterly article on activist art.
Biology professor emerita, Margaret Wright, on the Vassar farm with students in the late 1970s. Professor Wright led the movement to establish an ecological preserve on the farm. Read the history of the farm.
Main Circle at night, c.1982. Parking seemed to be a little different then. See how it works these days.
Move-in day, Jewett House, c.1950s. Welcome to the class of 2015! We have a little video for you.
Tennis courts set up in what is now Noyes Circle, c.1889. Tennis made its appearance at Vassar in 1879. Read about an amazing tournament in 1886.
Vassar students on the annual trip to Lake Mohonk, c.1905. It was a long ride, sometimes involving more than one kind of conveyance. Read about this early tradition at Vassar. Photo: Helen Kenyon, class of 1905.
Professor Fred Chromey with students in 2009 checking the clock housing on the historic 8-inch refractor. Learn more about the observatory, its telescopes, and its weekly open nights.
Vassar College Office of Communications
124 Raymond Ave
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604
Late 1800s - 2016
Browse and enjoy.
Starting in 2011, Vassar’s 150th anniversary, the college’s homepages have been available for browsing in this archive. Each image is captioned, and the caption links to related information. Enjoy!